Saturday, June 25, 2016

Lexus LX470 1998-2007 Review and Saga!





The Lexus LX470 has always been one of my all-time favourite vehicles. I have very fond childhood memories of collecting the first one to arrive in Sydney in late 1998 or early 99 with my father for an affluent friend. We traded in his 80s series Land Cruiser Sahara and were presented the keys to the Bronze beast: I immediately wanted one for my own one day.

As time went by I had the experience of driving this particular vehicle all over a farm at the age of 12 or 13 when our family's all went on a holiday together. The fact that it came equipped with a console fridge, height adjustable suspension and 3 row air conditioning blew my boyhood mind. I was used to the confines of Volvo 960 & 850 wagons, with no such amenities.

If you read this blog you will be aware I was the owner of a 2013 JKU AEV Jeep Wrangler. As I reach my later 20s I decided two months ago to drive 12 hours to North Brisbane and trade my low mileage Jeep on what I perceived to be the most immaculate update series LX470 in the country for sale at the time. Now I can hear you asking why would you trade a 3 year old low mile vehicle for a 10 year old one with higher miles? To begin to answer that we must understand the Jeep was 45k when new, the Lexus was over 100k and they still fetch in the mid to high 30s for good later 04+ examples.

The reason for this catastrophically high resale value, even at a decade old, is due to the fact the car is based on the infamous Toyota Land Cruiser. In particular the well regarded 100 series. As a result I could not even come close to being able to afford an LX570 based on the 200 series Land Cruiser. As much as I would love to own a used 570. The reasons I parted with the Jeep were the frat boy image it conveyed mixed with 3 year ownership boredom and the fact I had sold my LS430 and S class for an impeding country move. All I was left with were the harsh plastics of the Wrangler. I wanted to consolidate my fleet to one vehicle that checked all boxes: luxury, capability, size and reliability. I am partial to land yachts.

What differentiates the Lexus LX470 over the top-spec Land Cruiser Sahara? More than meets the eye:Whilst the Sahara is a superb vehicle and I had my eye out for one, I could not locate one with under 200,000km's that was not looking more than a little tired. The Sahara also has this tacky painted plastic wood veneer that frankly looks like crap and the nav unit out of a camry. What sets the Lexus apart is not only more sound insulation, superior audio systems: Nakamichi and Mark Levinson. Thicker and more supple leather, real Yamaha sourced wood veneer. A significantly better navigation and information screen routed to a reverse camera, superior paint and colour schemes, blu-tooth and steering wheel controls, leather armrest, 1/3 more freon in the air conditioning due to 3 row climate control and console fridge, chromed interior door handles (Sahara's were plastic) and not to mention Lexus' service departments at your disposal. The final difference was the Headlights. The Lexus was equipped with the most amazing HID gas charged high beams that the Toyota missed out. I have found these to be so effective I do not even need to fit spotlights and I live in the country.




The LX470 when it debuted came equipped with the amazing 2UZ-FE 4.7 Litre V8. Derived from the infamous 1UZ-FE 4.0 Litre equipped in the LS400, one of the worlds best engines. The 4.7 is so silky smooth that it can have a coin tilted sideways and rested on the idiot cover and it will not tip over. These engines are predisposed to massive mileage with very low maintenance and among the smoothest that can be owned, even to this day.

The downside of the LX470 and the 2UZ-FE is the incredible thirst for premium fuel. I am currently averaging 13.5L/100Km although that is because I live rurally with no traffic. In the city these can reach 22L/100km with ease. The fact that the LX470 has two fuel tanks is a blessing and a curse. With the main tank and the sub tank both full you can expect a highway range of around 680-700kms (unweighted) but having to purchase somewhere in the region of 138 litres of premium fuel is going to hurt your wallet. Power is adequate for the engine at around 230 horsepower for Australian variants, torque is very good at over 400nm. The engine was routed to a 4 speed automatic before an excellent 5 speed was fitted for the 2002 mid-life update. In the United states I believe for 2005-07 models were increased in horsepower to around 270. At the time of the debut in 1998 the Land Cruiser only had a carry over 4.5 litre straight 6 which made the Lexus the sure bet.



Whilst those statistics look a little sad by today's standards the LX470 doesn't feel at all slow. It feels refined with an endless power band right to the redline. It can competently tow a ski boat whilst loaded with 8 passengers and all the luggage and it can do that in complete serenity...so long as you have a crude oil share portfolio. It will even very happily burn a few Pajero's etc at the stoplights.

The Achilles heel of the LX470 is the AHC (Automatic Height Control) suspension it is fitted with. This is coupled with AVS (Adaptive Variable Damping). Basically there is a reservoir of suspension fluid in the engine compartment and a complex system that fills and empties the levels of fluid in the shock depending on driver input and computer feedback of the road surface. It also enables you to raise and lower the car depending on the terrain. There are 4 shock setting in the cabin ranging from comfort to normal to sport and sport 2. They noticeably transform the ride from 70s Cadillac in comfort to Mercedes S class in normal and BMW 7 series in sports 1 & 2. You can actually carve canyons in this behemoth in sport 2 although it becomes quiet harsh over bumps. My advice is to leave it in Normal.

What controls all this are the Accumulator globes tucked away behind each wheel arch cladding. They operate like a drop dispenser filling or reducing the amount of fluid that is in the shocks. When these go bad which is extremely rare the ride of the LX470 becomes undriveable and the Lexus dealership will charge you between $3-4k for replacement. If this occurs my suggestion is to have a suspension shot clamp off the system and replace it with either conventional Land Cruiser shocks and springs or a mild Old Man Emu or similar 1-2" suspension lift for half the cost. If you do wish to replace it as Lexus intended my hat goes off to you as it really is a wonderful system and the ride is superb. Fear mongering aside they rarely go wrong. Just make sure to keep the reservoir topped up with Toyota only AHC suspension fluid. Any other hydraulic fluid will damage the system irreparably.

To this the day 02+ interior update of the LX470 looks luxurious, contemporary and upmarket. The 1998-01 look dated but if you are on a shoe-string you can't find a better truck for under 20 grand.

With all this said I have had some issues, some of which are ongoing and have been very costly to repair. So much so I am almost broke. First issue is the Air Mixer servo motors behind the dash which mix the air temperature you desire become old and break. This results in a grumble behind the dash which requires a complete dash removal I only trusted Lexus to do. This resulted in A 6 week wait for the part which was $500 and then a $1700.00 fitting bill. Suffice it to say I was very depressed.

Shortly thereafter the A/C condenser box started leaking condensation onto the floor and required a full clean out. This is due to 10 years of gunk and can cause mildew on the carpet. At the same time I have noticed my Valve cover gasket's weeping which is unfortunate but there is no money left in the kitty so they will have to wait. If you are considering purchase then set aside a few grand for repairs.

Other than these age related issues this has to be the most comfortable, most capable and most elegant SUV with true prowess that money can buy.






















2 comments: